Friday, February 21, 2014

Bible

I don't know about y'all, but I have gone to church since birth, but never really read or studied my Bible outside of church. Sure, I looked stuff up once in a while. I also attended a fantastic women's Bible study for about a year, but then the leader left. (I was heartbroken!) My Dad always read the Bible when I was growing up and is very knowledgable about it, but he never made me read it or do devotions, which surprises me. I loved the mini series "The Bible" that was on tv last year, and the show The American Bible Challenge. Both shows made me realize how much I don't know about the Bible! 

This January, Pastor VanDussen mentioned reading the Bible all the way through, which I have always wanted to do. January 6, 2014 I started reading from Genesis and am loving it! I am in the middle of Joshua right now. I read the King James Version (very strict about this!) of the Life Application Bible. I adore it! It explains confusing passages, gives background or historical information, and, you guessed it, applies God's word to life. 

Genesis and Exodus were awesome, and Joseph is my new favorite person from Bible times, after Jesus, of course! Then I got to Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy....whew those were a bit of a struggle to get through! Lots of repetitive laws to the Israelites, but I pushed through because I know it's important if God put it in there! 

One just doesn't realize how much one misses by not reading the Bible. Just going to church doesn't cut it. For instance, I didn't know Jacob's name was changed to Israel, and the Israelites are his decedents. I thought they were named after the country, not the other way around! My lack of Biblical knowledge had made me feel like a bad Christian and a hypocrite. But I am learning so much now! I can't wait to get to Ruth, Psalms, and then the New Testament. Being a history buff probably makes me enjoy reading even more. 

I encourage anyone who has never spent much time in the Bible to bust it out and start reading! You will not regret it and you will be blessed! 

Have a fabulous weekend! 

-Nellie

Ps My Bible weighs almost 5 pounds. Whew! 


No comments:

Post a Comment